Indian Railways has been catering to the interests of the lakhs of travellers in the country, and one such move is to facilitate them in their last minute planning through Tatkal ticket booking. The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), which provides the facility of online booking of tickets, has recently introduced new norms in this regard.
Tatkal Ticket Booking Rules 2018 :
According to Railways, only two Tatkal tickets can be booked for single user ID in opening Tatkal from 10:00-12:00 hrs. Bookings for Tatkal tickets for AC classes open at 10:00 am and for non-AC classes at 11:00 am, a day in advance of actual date of journey. Moreover, only two Tatkal tickets per IP Address between 10:00-12:00 hrs. are allowed.
The minister also said that agents are not allowed to book tickets between 08:00 am to 08:30 am, 10:00 am to 10:30 am and 11:00 am to 11:30 am to prevent cornering of tickets at the time of opening of Tatkal and Advance Reservation Period bookings.
IRCTC Ticket Refund/Cancellation Rules
To prevent misuse of Tatkal scheme, no refund is given on confirmed Tatkal tickets except in case of certain special circumstances. A refund of fare and Tatkal charges on confirmed tickets booked under the Tatkal scheme is granted only in specific circumstances:
1) if the train is delayed by more than three hours at the journey originating point of the passenger and not the boarding point if the passenger’s journey originating point and boarding point are different.
2) if the train is to run on a diverted route and passenger is not willing to travel.
3) if the train is to run on diverted route and boarding station or the destination or both the stations are not on the diverted route.
4) in case of non-attachment of coach in which Tatkal accommodation has been earmarked and the passenger has not been provided accommodation in the same class.
5) if the party has been accommodated in lower class and does not want to travel.